The role and team
The Transport Supervisor is responsible for supporting and leading the Portbury drivers to deliver an excellent transport service by taking ownership and responsibility for allocated transport duties. In addtion, they are responsible for the day to day management of the Portbury transport operation ensuring safety, compliance and service standards are met. Interfacing daily with our drivers, the Transport Supervisor is their key point of contact and is a champion of employee engagement.
Who we are
We’re the leading food producer for the health and social care sector, providing delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care.
We’re also the parent company of Wiltshire Farm Foods, the UK’s premier home-delivery service for ready-made meals.
Through our wide range of well-presented, nutritious meals to suit every taste and dietary need, we aim to make a real difference to lives of elderly and vulnerable people in care.
We’re proud to be a Living Wage employer and member of the Ethical Trading Initiative. We support British food and farming and operate a successful programme of waste reduction and resource efficiency across our whole business.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 33 days annual leave holiday entitlement (inc Bank Holidays), the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more !
- Organise driver workforce, delegate tasks and deal with day to day staffing issues as necessary to ensure adequate staffing and performance levels are maintained so the Transport operation runs smoothly, and customer service requirements are met.
- Management of the Portbury driver workforce in line with policy including disciplinary, absence management, driver standards etc
- Day to day point of contact for drivers both out on the road and on debrief.
- If working in planning function, responsible for routing vehicles across the network in compliance with legal constraints i.e. vehicle weights, WTD, as well as customer requirements.
- Work collaboratively with the Distribution Team to ensure that all breakdowns and delays are dealt with in a speedy manner, where appropriate liaising with and updating customer services on progress.
- Work collaboratively with all internal and external stakeholders in order to gather feedback and key information to enhance operational performance and proactively identify and mitigate any current or future potential issues.
- Lead, develop and motivate direct reports so that they deliver or exceed their objectives and KPI’s, identify future potential and develop in line with business needs.
- Ensure compliance against, legal, Health and Safety procedures / checks and act on issues as necessary in order to ensure that any issues are identified, rectified, reported and a safe and legally compliant environment is operated at all times whilst constantly improving the safety culture.
- Work with the Driver Trainer to improve key efficiencies and improve driving standards, safety, driving ability and fuel efficiency.
- Support and implement ways in which reduce cost and optimise performance.
- On call duties 1 week in every 6 dealing with out of hours calls
- Numerate and literate
- Computer literate
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Good people and communication skills
- Customer Service experience gained from a 3PL or similar background
- Previous experience of managing a driver workforce (e.g. disciplinary, absence management, driver standards)
- Certificate of Professional Competence
- Full understanding of Working Time Directive, Drivers Hours and Operators licensing compliance
- Ability to communicate well at all levels
- Experience of routing and tracking applications
- Able to work in a fast pace environment
- Self Motivated
- Customer Focused
- Has an outgoing and confident personality
- Is flexible and adaptable
- Enjoys working with people
- Is a good team player
- Has good, clear communication skills and is a good listener
- Has good organisation skills
- Is approachable, trustworthy and fair; can gain the respect of others