If you’re a Food Development Manager looking for an opportunity to make a real difference …
We are seeking an experienced Senior Product Development professional with an exceptional track record of delivering commercially successful and innovative product development within the retail sector.
Wiltshire Farm Foods operates in a ‘growth market’ and this presents a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference to our customers lives as well as the future success of our business.
This new and challenging position has been created to significantly accelerate consumer focused innovation, continuous improvement and growth.
Working closely with colleagues across the business the successful candidate will be responsible for managing all aspects of the product development lifecycle and managing the innovations pipeline. They will take a key role in helping shape strategic category and development plans and manage the delivery of development programmes to support them.
As a senior member of our team, the successful candidate is expected make a major impact on the profitable growth of our business, through a strategic, innovative, proactive and commercially focused approach to product development and through inspirational leadership and development of their team.
They will be responsible for creating competitive advantage through innovative product & systems development based on thorough understanding of the evolving customer and consumer needs and expectations.
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £175,000 for these charities.
- Establishing and managing Wiltshire Farm Foods product development activities.
- Driving and managing the innovations pipeline to deliver World class innovations.
- Identifying and delivering value optimisation projects.
- Providing excellent leadership and development support - inspiring your team to drive innovation, to realise their potential and make a real difference .
- Deliver a proactive and responsive product development service that continually creates competitive advantage and ensures our food proposition is market leading.
- Ensuring a customer focused approach is undertaken throughout. This will include managing our consumer taste panels and home-use testing, undertaking market reviews , visiting customers, and applying relevant food trends and research knowledge.
- Drive and support value optimisation opportunities to deliver real value for money for our customers and ensure agreed commercial targets are met.
- Ensure Wiltshire Farm Foods development is aligned with business strategies and policies.
- Manage and deliver other projects directly assigned by the Head of Product & Systems Development.
- Identify & deliver product quality and nutrition improvements, taking account of the needs of all stakeholders.
- Support the improvement of Development processes and procedures.
- Support new Business to Consumer market initiatives.
- Provide guidance and support to help shape strategic category and development plans.
- Keep up to date with current and emerging food aand consumer trends.
An exceptional track record of innovation and successful food product development within the retail sector
Leadership of cross functional teams to deliver challenging objectives
Successful direct team leadership
Degree level qualification
Experience within frozen or chilled food manufacturing
- Excellent leadership qualities
- A real passion for food & nutrition
- Agility and the drive to make things happen
- Ability to establish and implement strategic plans
- Drive to challenge, innovate and make a real difference
- Exceptional project management skills
- Excellent communication skills with the confidence to work well with colleagues and customers at all levels
- Commercially and customer focused