The department and team
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food and catering solutions to care homes, local authorities & hospitals and the transport and distribution area of the business is a critically important part of our supply chain. Our drivers are the key link between our business and the customers we work with; ensuring our work is delivered professionally, efficiently and on time.
As a professional driver, this role represents a chance to join a growing and forward thinking business as an ambassador for apetito delivering our finished frozen food product to Care Homes, Local Authorities, Hospitals and our Wiltshire Farm Foods franchisees. In this critical role you must be prepared to drive to different geographical locations and manage a demanding delivery schedule – our customers depend on our food and we depend on you. Additionally, you will need to ensure that you provide fantastic customer service as the face of apetito. Start times vary between 04.00am – 08.00am and are based on an initial 40 hour week.
Our main base is Portbury near Bristol but we also have staff at our out base depots in the following locations; Stanmore, Gillingham, South Kirkby, St Helens and Motherwell in Scotland.
If you think you have what it takes to become a Driver with apetito, apply with us today!
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £175,000 for these charities.
- Undertake pre/post shift inspection (vehicle check) of vehicles.
- Full compliance with the drivers’ hours, tachographs and road traffic regulations.
- Driving style - damage free and economical.
- Making deliveries in a timely manner and phoning transport office with any delivery discrepancies or delays.
- Deliver goods to the customer’s “point of need”.
- Provide excellent customer service and conflict resolution where necessary.
- Be an ambassador of the company.
- Report any customer service issues to the transport office or customer service department while delivering.
- Undertake minor vehicle service activity such as cleaning and refueling of both vehicle and refrigerated unit.
- Maintenance of a clean vehicle both internally and externally.
- Delivery and collection of vehicles as required to rental suppliers including any due inspections.
- Inspection of hire vehicles pre and post rental.
- Actively participate in a daily debrief process, working with your supervisor to identify safety, service and operational improvements as and when they arise.
- Full LGV Class C Licence (ideally for minimum 2 years)
- Driving experience (ideally 2-3 years)
- Excellent understanding of Drivers hours regulations, working time directive and tachographs
- Good operational knowledge of modern commercial vehicles
- Good geographical knowledge of UK
- Numerate and literate
- Good people and communication skills
- Up to date DCPC entitlement
- Temperature controlled transport
- Experience of multi drop deliveries
- Clean driving license
- Temperature Control Transport
- Experience of operating tail lifts
- Experience of working with wheeled delivery equipment
- The successful candidate will be outgoing, friendly, customer focused with a can do attitude and will work well as part of a team.
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills at all levels towards both customers and colleagues.
- Able to juggle the demands of a busy schedule, traffic conditions and other road users with safety, customer service and time / efficiency targets.
- Must be calm under pressure.
- High standard of personal presentation to uphold the company brand, including uniform / vehicle cleanliness.
- Flexible and responsive to business needs e.g. if required to complete a different route/start at different time on occasions.