The Role and Team
To be the first point of contact in relation to employee relations and sickness absence casework. Supporting, advising, coaching and where appropriate; influencing and challenging managers to ensure a fair and consistent procedure and policy are being followed, in line with employment law and apetito's policies.
Reporting to the HR Manager, not only will the postholder be a key member of the HR team, they will support colleagues from across the business. We are looking for an HR Advisor who has broad ER knowledge and proven experience of operating across the entire generalist remit in a fast paced and demanding environment.
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
- Advise managers on HR policies and procedures including performance and sickness absence management, disciplinary and grievance, work life balance and flexible working.
- Offering quality and timely advice in line with current employment legislation, company policies and best practice.
- Coach Managers on the above areas of people management to develop their competence to manage cases without the need for high levels of support
- Work with and support team members on people projects, e.g. TUPE transfers, redundancy consultation and organisational change
- Able to contribute to and deliver training on key internal policies, e.g. absence management, discipline and grievance
- Be a trusted expert in the field of sickness absence management, providing advice and support to managers to effectively manage absence cases and reduce both long and short term absence.
- Providing managers with a toolkit so that they can manage cases appropriately and in a timely way ensuring that template letters and guidance notes are up to date.
- Support and advise managers in relation to conducting investigations, hearings and appeals and be available to attend meetings in relation to complex case matters when appropriate.
- Collate information for monitoring and measuring HR key performance indicators and distribute to correct recipients monthly or as required (e.g. disciplinary / grievance / sickness levels).
- Compiling and running reports on the HR system, Zellis, to provide key people statistics for the HR Managers and the wider business, e.g. headcount, turnover etc.
- Contribute to reviews of HR practice, processes, policies and procedures to continuously improve and meet business needs. Implement any agreed changes.
- Timely recording of employee relations casework information, i.e. keeping ER and absence case logs and histories fully up to date and distribute as required by HRMs.
- Monthly review of fixed term and temporary contracts to ensure any expiring are dealt with appropriately.
- Contribute to any HR updates for the business.
- Support team members regarding the administration and communications associated with staff benefits, e.g. Rewards and the Employee Assistance Programme.
- Staff benefits - review, promote and challenge the providers of staff benefits to ensure they provide an excellent service and that the service is appropriately utilised.
- Monitor the take up of staff benefits and undertake an annual review, benchmarking against other providers and recommending a change of provider where appropriate.
- To be responsible for ensuring the timely provision of statutory training for employees; this will involve identifying delegates, arranging the dates and working with the external provider to set up the training.
- Supporting HR Managers with organising and managing Works Councils & Employee Forums
- To support the HR Administrator from time to time with the production of contracts, offer letters, greeting new employees on induction and covering reception when required.
- Supporting the Head of HR and HR Managers with project work as required and undertaking any other duties reasonably incidental to the role.
- Experience of dealing with employee relations casework and advising managers on HR policy, procedures and best practice (in particular absence management, disciplinary, grievance and performance management)
- Previous experience of HR administration
- Experience using Microsoft Office applications (in particular word and excel)
- Experience using an HR database
- Experience prioritising and planning own workload.
- GCSE's or equivalent Grade C in Mathematics & English
- Up to date employment law knowledge
- CIPD qualified (part or full)
- Developing HR processes, procedures and policies
- Experience of coaching managers
- Advising on restructuring and redundancy situations.
- Experience of a multi-site environment.
- Understanding of TUPE legislation and dealing with TUPE transfers
Other - essential
- Full UK driving licence and access to own transport
- Displays excellent customer service, a positive ‘can-do’ attitude at all times, and able to work on own initiative, requiring minimal supervision.
- Able to forge relationships with a wide-range of stakeholders and adapt personal style as appropriate
- Excellent listening, questioning, persuading and influencing skills
- Able to handle challenging situations with diplomacy and tact, think clearly and stay focused when under pressure.
Lead by example and demonstrate actions and behaviours required of others.
- Flexible in respect of working hours and travel/work locations.
- Leads by example and demonstrates actions and behaviours required of others.