The Role and Team
The Low Risk Kitchen department is keen to promote excellent team work by employing people who have a positive (can do) attitude, who are prepared to learn a number of skills so that they are able to work in various positions within the department. By achieving this, the department is in the best position to produce quality products, in an efficient manner. We aim to not only achieve our targets but improve on them as well.
You will be working with large batch cooking (min 180kgs up to 1,000kgs) in large cooking pots. It is normal to be cooking on 4 pots at the same time, which means potentially managing high value ingredients and cookings of combined weight of 1,800kgs
This position is 40 hours a week, working Monday to Friday on an alternating shift – 06.00 – 14.00 and 14.00 – 22.00.
Who we are
We’re the leading food producer for the health and social care sector, providing delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care.
We’re also the parent company of Wiltshire Farm Foods, the UK’s premier home-delivery service for ready-made meals.
Through our wide range of well-presented, nutritious meals to suit every taste and dietary need, we aim to make a real difference to lives of elderly and vulnerable people in care.
We’re proud to be a Living Wage employer and member of the Ethical Trading Initiative. We support British food and farming and operate a successful programme of waste reduction and resource efficiency across our whole business.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 25 days annual leave holiday entitlement, the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more!
- Weigh products to be used in recipes
- Large batch cooking (min 180kgs up to 1,000kgs) in large cooking pots. It is normal to be cooking on 4 pots at the same time, which means potentially managing high value ingredients and cookings of combined weight of 1,800kgs
- Control left over stock and apply First in, First out (F.I.F.O) methodology
- Cook products following the recipes supplied
- Clean pots between products and liaise with High Care Op when pump strip is required when changing from meat to vegetarian products, different species
- Complete paperwork 100% fully, accurately and legibly – this is a legal requirement
- It is also expected that persons in this role will be expected to be able to work in other areas as required
- Help the business be environmentally friendly by keeping waste to a minimum (e.g. making products right first time)
This role has potential for promotion once your full training is complete and competence has been checked against the standard for the next grade and a role is available.
- Have a positive attitude; will have to learn other tasks in the Prep Department if required
- Promote good team work – help others. “It’s not my job” does not promote good team work
- Have a desire to help the team meet the department targets
- Undertake any training made available/organised