The department and team
The hygiene department is keen to promote excellent team work by employing people who have a positive attitude, who are prepared to learn a number of skills so that they are able to work in various positions within the department. By achieving this, the department is in the best position to produce quality products, in an efficient manner. We aim to not only achieve our targets but improve on them as well. Staff are employed and trained to be multi-functional and to be capable of carrying out numerous functions should this be required when a fellow staff member is away or absent.
Main purpose of the job:
To be a key member of the food premises hygiene team, the yard team, ensuring that all production lines, depositors, tote bins, tubs, racks & any other equipment are washed & sanitized correctly and to ensure the higher waste hierarchy regarding the waste streams yard/factory had been followed and to assist in other tasks when required.
This role is permanent working 40 hours per week – Monday to Thursday 2230-0600 Friday 2000-0600
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 25 days annual leave holiday entitlement, the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more !
- To wash all tote bins, baths, racks & any other items that may require washing & sanitize
- To dismantle all depositors & clean using low pressure wash and place cleaned items carefully in clean tote bin or tubs
- To clean productionlines on a nightly basis with a weekly deep clean on a Friday
- To deep clean low and high risk kitchen areas weekly
- To clean all outside areas including the waste area with high pressure
- To follow up non-conformances from QA on a daily basis
- Ensure that all items are cleaned thoroughly & sanitized
- Ensure sanitizer is changed every two hours in the wash up
- Ensure items are washed in a priority order
- Ensure waste bins/recycling dolavs are clean to return into factory
Hygiene and Yard
- Follow correct personal hygiene procedures (e.g. changing procedure, hand washing procedures)
- Operate to a clean (and tidy) as you go policy
- Carry out efficient and effective clean downs
- Undertake ‘Basic Food Hygiene’ training: a pass level must be obtained
- Working as part of a team
- Good standard of English and Maths
- Positive attitude
- Be able to work on own initiative
- Be proactive
- Give feedback to team leader/supervisor
- Previous factory experience
- Previous night shift working
- Chemical awareness training
- Basic computer skills
- COSHH training (or a willingness to complete)
- Fork Lift training (or a willingness to complete)
- ‘Cleaning in Food premises’ training (or willingness to complete)
- ‘Basic Food Hygiene’ training (or willingness to complete)
The role requires a self-motivated enthusiastic individual who is able to work on their own initiative as well as being part of the team and must also be committed to learning a diverse range of skills whilst still being able to hit the targets required.