The department and team
The Meals department are keen to promote excellent team work by employing people who have a positive attitude, who are prepared to learn a number of skills so that they are able to work in various positions within the department. By achieving this, the department is in the best position to produce quality products, in an efficient manner. We aim to not only achieve our targets but improve on them as well.
This position is 40 hours per week working Monday – Friday 14.00 - 22.00
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 25 days annual leave holiday entitlement, the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more !
· Putting in vegetables/potato products- for most products this is done with a scoop but some done by hand
· Hand placing items up to a total of 3 – 4 on a line
· Correcting ‘weights’ to keep waste to a minimum
· Changes overs- help ensure they are efficient. Empty bins and waste tubs and replace with clean ones, clean area around the line
· It is also expected that people in this role are able to ‘weigh’ on the multi-portion and twin portion line at the required speed
· Finished (assembled) products must be right first time.
· Inform the person running the line if you think there is a potential issue with the quality of the product
· Follow correct personal hygiene procedures
· Operate to a clean (and tidy) as you go policy
· Carry out efficient and effective clean downs when changing over products
Health & Safety:
· Work in a safe manner at all times
· Follow safe working practices
· Assist if required with risk assessments
· Report any accidents or dangerous occurrences
- Experience of food safety.
- Working in a production environment.
Have a can do attitude; will have try to learn other tasks in the department if required.
Promote good team work – help others.
Have a desire to help the team meet the department targets.
Undertake ‘Basic Food Hygiene’ training: a pass level must be obtained.
Undertake any training made available/organized.