The role, department and team
The Procurement team is responsible for ensuring that the company has a clear strategy when purchasing goods and services.
You will have a passion for purchasing and are looking to move to a large, agile business where we can support your career development (CIPS). Ideally joining with a procurement background you will have a talent in negotiation with exceptional networking and communication skills.
The successful candidate will report to the Senior Procurement Manager for Indirects and will be a subject matter expert for the CAPEX and service categories and a driving force for strategic sourcing initiatives. The right person will initiate, develop and maintain strong cross functional relationships within the business, which achieves more than lowest cost and positions Indirect procurement much more strategically amongst our stakeholders.
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £175,000 for these charities.
Working in the purchasing team, to support the purchasing of the In-direct categories
- You will source new and improved ingredients to support the Product Development team in delivering the best food occasions
- Continue to support our supplier management strategy to ensure we are using the correct vendor base for Apetito. Your ability to influence external parties and ensure service and quality targets are met will be important.
- Using the latest forecasting tools and market data to predict future raw material price movements and report to line and senior management on short and long term trends, which assists the companies pricing strategy.
- Cover for materials ordering as required
- Administration of costs, supplier requests, new product launches and demand
- Support project work
- Degree or working to a Business related Degree (expected minimum 2:2)
- Some Commercial Work Experience
- Knowledge of SAP or a similar platform
- Degree relevant to Manufacturing.
- Drive and self-motivation
- Leadership potential
- Intellectual curiosity
- Communicate effectively to implement new ideas and strategies
- Be able to travel to various UK locations (expenses paid)
- Be willing to work anywhere within the UK at our request
- Keen eye for detail