The Role and Team
The Subsidiary Accountant role is a newly created position that will offer the right candidate the opportunity to work across the apetito UK group and provide expert Financial Management for three of its Subsidiaries. This role provides a fabulous opportunity to enhance financial controls, improve commercial reviews and deliver projects to develop and add value to existing processes. Working with the Subsidiary companies, as part of the Commercial Finance function, you will be a key member of the Finance community.
The Commercial Finance team consists of 8 members and is responsible for the month-end close, internal and external reporting, managing the forecasting & budgeting cycles as well as supporting projects and business initiatives.
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
- Manage the month-end close including:
- Review and drafting of profit and loss account
- Completing balance sheet reviews
- Production on month end packs
- Completing commercial reviews
- Weekly performance reporting
- Daily book-keeping covering:
- Banking and debtor reconciliations
- Management of debtor and creditor ledgers
- Processing payroll
- Completing monthly balance sheet reconciliations and reviews
- Submitting VAT returns
- Co-ordination of audit and year end responsibilities
- Production of tax pack for external accountants
Initial projects include:
- Critically appraise, identify and implement an enhanced banking / debtor reconciliation process.
- Streamline month end reporting via system integration.
- Provide ad-hoc analytical, commercial and accounting support as and when required.
- A minimum of 2 years’ PQE experience in an accounting role (e.g. Financial Accountant, Finance Business Partner, Accountant, Book-keeper) clearly demonstrating prior value adding achievements.
- Ability to critically review existing business processes/systems
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills – particularly, Excel and PowerPoint
- Confident and capable communicator
- Professional accounting qualification
- Previous experience of SAP
- Experience of working with business partners providing more than just MI
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of delivering to exceptionally high standards, often within tight timescales. An effective communicator who takes every opportunity to build and strengthen relationships with key stakeholders is essential.
- Diligence and attention to detail
- Positive outlook
- Effective time manager
- Sets high standards in all they do
- Deadline focused, and looks for opportunities to exceed expectations
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Flexible and keen to get involved in various areas of the finance team
- Determined, can-do approach