The Role and Team
You will be supporting Preparation manufacturing team to deliver innovative solutions to the food manufacturing process. You will be working on a variety of projects that add value to the business and can make huge difference in every aspect of it.
You will be required to support complex manufacturing processes and develop innovative engineering or process solutions to improve the performance of our manufacturing facility.
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £175,000 for these charities.
Full details of our Undergraduate Placement Programme can be found on our careers pages at Placements at apetito
Working in a range of environments, you will gain experience in manufacturing principles, process flows, facility design, production equipment (particularly cooking, dicing, mincing, LEVs and lifting support) and refrigeration systems. You will have an opportunity to learn and put in practice techniques such as lean, sigma and PRINCE2. You will learn techniques such as 5S, root – cause analysis and apply DMAIC steps to your projects/objectives.
Previous placement students’ projects:
- The development of a brand new cakes range
- Recipe, mixing, baking, process flow and line installation
- Supplier visits & installation, planning of trials and presenting data
- Staff procedures and management
Multi - Plus project
- Supplier sourcing and visits – Germany
- Tray and packaging design
- Production line modifications
- Sourcing new equipment and machinery
- Trials and customer feed-back
Continuous improvement and lean projects that require you to understand step by step approach and subsequent removal of steps that do not add value to the process and finished product.
- You will be studying towards a degree in Engineering/Mathematics/Sciences related discipline with the expectation that you will receive a 2:1 (graduating 2022) or above and are looking to complete a 12 - month placement as part of your degree.
- You are comfortable to work with large data sets and able to analyse them to determine any patterns or trends to support further work or solution.
- Comfortable of being “hands on” and working on the shop floor to further understand the problem and find solution. Interaction with shop floor staff at all levels will be essential to be successful in the various projects and tasks assigned.
- Experience of Project Management
- Excellent analysis, problem management and interpersonal skills
- A completer finisher
- Self-motivated and able to own and manage workload with minimal supervision – a proven self-starter
- Able to demonstrate a structured approach to work as well as being able to work well in team environment and deal with people professionally at all levels
- Is effective at using oral and written forms of communication