The Role and Team
We anticipate that the successful candidate will be on a fast track development scheme to a key position or management role which will both increase the potential of team apetito and you as an employee. This is a great opportunity to further enhance food innovation within our business .
Following a comprehensive induction schedule the successful candidate will be supported through a programme covering all areas of the product development process from idea generation & concept development through to launch whilst working closely with our team of Technologists, Chefs and Dietitian.
You will quickly ‘own’ and manage projects with the opportunity to make a real difference.
You will be offered plenty of training and guidance, but we expect you to be driven and independent with a passion to add real value to the business.
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £175,000 for these charities.
This role forms part of our Graduate Development Programme full details on the programme can be found on our careers pages at apetito Graduates
New Product Development
- Concept development
- Presentations to internal stakeholders and customers
- Idea generation
- Agile development
- Working closely with Purchasing colleagues to identify new raw materials
- Developing to meet agreed nutrition standards
- Managing production trials
- Working with cross functional teams to deliver successful launches
- Project management and leadership
- Market research
- Enhancing organoleptic quality – improving the taste and appearance of meals and desserts
- Improving nutrition and dietary options – providing even greater choice to enable customers to eat for health
- Developing food products that meet the needs of our customers and exceed their expectations
- Reducing cost (whilst improving product quality)
- Identifying , researching , proposing and delivering innovation that supports business objectives, creates competitive advantage and makes a real difference to our customers.
- Degree in Food based discipline - at least 2:1 (or in final year of study and on target for at least 2:1)
- Experience of working with others to achieve demonstrably successful project outcomes
- Good understanding of the Food Development process
A real passion for food & nutrition
Genuine interest in developing food products that makes a real difference
Strong interpersonal skills
Good problem-solving skills
Ability to influence others
Good presentation skills
Good sensory skills