The Role and Team
apetito is on an ambitious and exciting digital transformation project and are looking talented and enthusiastic graduates to join the team as trainee developers, to be based in our Trowbridge offices.
This is a brand new role which will expose the successful candidate to software development projects of varying size and complexity, primarily around web and mobile, and working with our customers to provide them with new, innovative software solutions that help them to successfully meet their business goals. Key areas where development will be focused is on is on retail, customer service and customer self-service.
apetito won the queens award for enterprise this year for innovation and we are looking for software developers to join us with a view to building on this success. You will have access to the latest technology as well as training and development.
We operate several ecommerce sites serving customers across the world and have operations here and in North America. We are looking for someone to be part of the new software development team delivering web, mobile and integration solutions working within and agile environment.
Some prior experience in programming would be an advantage, especially in web or mobile, however the successful candidate will provided with training and will work as part of a larger development team. We are looking for someone who has the aptitude, desire and enthusiasm to want to achieve within this sector.
Beyond this placement we can provide staff with excellent career development opportunities, and pride ourselves on developing from within.
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
This role forms part of our Graduate Development Programme full details on the programme can be found on our careers pages at apetito Graduates
- Agile champion – an ambassador for best practice
- Design, develop and test software applications in a fast paced agile environment, ensuring you utilise your talent and experience to the full
- Developing existing programs by identifying areas for modification
- Integration of existing software
- Maintain systems by monitoring and correcting software defects
- Working closely with the business and all members of the digital transformation team, collaboration is critical for success
- In addition to delivering digital products and solutions you will be keeping abreast of the latest industry trends and making recommendations where necessary, investigate new technologies, have ideas, be creative
- Able to challenge, constructively
- Candidates need to have completed a degree or be studying towards a degree (graduating 2020) in computing or computer science with a focus on software development. You will have achieved or expecting a minimum of a 2.1.
- Previous work experience in an IT environment.
- Have a passion for IT development and have completed code based tasks or assignments at University or in spare time.
- Previous exposure to development using .NET
- Previous web or mobile development experience
- Knowledge of agile best practices