The Role and Team
We are currently recruiting for a Catering Assistant to assist the Hospitality and Catering Manager in providing full catering services for our onsite staff restaurant facilities in Trowbridge.
We have a large staff restaurant on our Mill Site facility and a smaller staff restaurant at our Pie Site facility, both in Trowbridge.
The post holder will be responsible for assisting the Hospitality and Catering Manager in the effective, efficient planning and delivery of a high quality catering service including menu planning, food and drink ordering, preparation, service, kitchen, front of house operation of the staff restaurants and services they provide to our employees, customers and wider business.
The post holder will be responsible for supporting in delivery of the following services;
- A full catering service (for approximately 500 employees on site) including:
- Hot counter food service, consisting of breakfast, lunch and evening meal
- Buffet, salad items and baked good
- Food and beverages for onsite meeting room hospitality
- Vending machines providing food and drink supporting catering for a night-shift provision.
As well as working alongside other team members to deliver the service on a day to day basis, a key requirement of this role is the responsibility to manage the service and the team at all times when the Catering and Hospitality Manager is absent i.e. on holiday, on training and any other absence due to unforeseen circumstances.
Please note: this role is part-time 27.5 hours per week (Monday to Friday between 1200-1730 with some flexibility, as required)
Who we are
We’re the leading food producer for the health and social care sector, providing delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care.
We’re also the parent company of Wiltshire Farm Foods, the UK’s premier home-delivery service for ready-made meals.
Through our wide range of well-presented, nutritious meals to suit every taste and dietary need, we aim to make a real difference to lives of elderly and vulnerable people in care.
We’re proud to be a Living Wage employer and member of the Ethical Trading Initiative. We support British food and farming and operate a successful programme of waste reduction and resource efficiency across our whole business.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 25 days annual leave holiday entitlement, the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more !
Day to Day:-
- Prepare, cook and present food to a high standard
- Serving food to customers with a high degree of customer service
- Operating the till and complying with cash handling procedures
- Tea and coffee preparation and delivery for internal meetings/functions
- Sort, clear, stack and wash all crockery and cutlery and food trolleys
- Filling and cleaning the vending machines
- Support the Hospitality and Catering Manager with stock control levels and purchasing of supplies
- Adhering to all compliance and best practice processes in place in respect of food hygiene, health and safety and environmental matters such as minimizing food waste
- Ensure that the facilities are cleaned and maintained to a high standard at all times
- Assist the Hospitality and Catering Manager to plan menus and cater for special and celebratory events such as Christmas meals or charity events.
- Assisting the Hospitality and Catering Manager with day to day administration i.e. record keeping etc
- Assist the Hospitality and Catering Manager with the development of team members as appropriate
- Deputise for the Hospitality and Catering Manager when required and in their absence
- To undertake any other duties that are commensurate with the post.
At the request of or in the absence of the Hospitality and Catering Manager:-
- Supervise and assist the team with the preparation and service of food to a high standard and ensuring that any operational issues are addressed quickly and effectively.
- Ensure all food and beverage produced is of the right quality, price and is served to the required standards to maintain and grow the numbers of staff using the facilities.
- Development of team members and deal with any absence, conduct and performance matters.
- Responsibility for ensuring the supply, purchasing and control of stock levels of all food and drinks are undertaken to a high standard and wherever possible by sourcing locally and ethically.
- Responsibility for managing stock, portion control, menu planning and disposal practices that minimise waste levels.
- Ensuring staff comply with all regulatory and good practice requirements ensuring food hygiene, health and safety.
- Ensuring high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained throughout
- Ensuring cashing up is undertaken and that cash controls are adhered to
- Organising catering for any special and celebratory events such as Christmas meals or charity events
- Supervision of the day to day administration of all catering services including timely and accurate record keeping (staff rotas/timesheets/financial reports and all food safety records)
- Minimum L2 NVQ in professional cookery or equivalent Food safety level 2 certificate or must be willing to achieve this qualification within the first 6 months of the role
- Knowledge and experience in food preparation, cook and serve
- Knowledge and experience of delivering excellence in customer care and service, particularly front of house customer care
- Efficient stock control and waste minimization
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Experience of catering supervision
- Experience of cash handling and keeping accurate records
- Experience of supervising staff
- Experience of effective stock control and waste minimisation
- Good knowledge of health and safety within a catering environment
- Ability to motivate and supervise a team
- Good communication skills
- Ability to prioritise, manage time and meet deadlines
- Competence in use of IT tools (MS Office - Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Ability to work with a wide range of people
- Flexible and willing to carry out duties which become necessary when required
- Able to work flexible hours, incl some weekends, evenings and Bank Holidays and some additional hours when covering in the absence of the Hospitality and Catering Manager
- Passion for good quality food and service
- A strong commitment to the ethos and values of apetito
- At all times exercise a high standard of personal integrity and professional conduct
Please note: The job requires a good level of physical fitness and involves some lifting, pulling and general manual labour; ie collecting deliveries and moving boxes etc from pallets onto trolleys which then need be transported to the kitchen area; lifting of boxes from the stock room onto a trolley to replenish the vending machines etc.