The Role and Team
apetito is a unique business with both a commercial and social purpose.
We are a leading supplier of nutrition based food and service solutions for some of the most vulnerable people in society. As the leader in our field, our aim is to “make a real difference” to the consumers and customers we serve in hospitals, care homes, meals on wheels and in the home via Wiltshire Farm Foods. For us “Making a real difference” means:
- Great Food to be Proud of
- Enhancing Health & Wellbeing
- Ethical and Sustainable
- A passion for service
We continue to develop our award winning approach to sustainability & ethical trade and seek an individual with the passion, drive and commitment to help apetito deliver initiatives that make a real difference. In the role you will support, encourage and challenge the business to deliver against our sustainability strategy to ensure we continue to make a real difference by doing business in the right way and creating shared value, social, environmental and economic.
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
This role forms part of our Graduate Development Programme full details on the programme can be found on our careers pages at apetito Graduates
• Develop a thorough understanding of the sustainability landscape
• Benchmarking and horizon scanning
• Analysis and reporting of performance against key sustainability targets for internal and external stakeholders
• Supporting tender completion
• Supporting sustainability audits including MSC & RSPO
• Data collection and supplier risk mapping (social and environmental)
• Support the Sustainability & Ethical Trade Manager in the delivery of key strategic initiatives
• Passion for sustainability and ethical trade
• Working towards or completed a degree (2:1) in a related degree
• Commercial work experience
• Understanding of sustainability theory
• Understanding of supply chains
• Understanding of environmental science
• Understanding of policy landscape
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent Time management
• Analytical approach
• Drive and self-motivation
• Team player
• Leadership potential
• Be able to travel, either UK or abroad ( expenses paid)
• Creative thinker
• Intellectual curiosity