The Role and Team
This is a fantastic role for someone who wants to start their career in HR and is eager to learn. The role will suit a customer focused individual with a willingness to help out wherever needed to support the whole team on a wide variety of tasks. A varied role, no two days will be the same and so we are looking for someone who doesn’t mind getting stuck in with whatever needs doing.
The preferred candidate will have proven experience in administration ideally working for multiple managers or a large team and will be able to demonstrate significant exposure to working in a fast paced, commercial environment whilst juggling multiple requests for their time. Strong administrative, organisational and IT Skills are essential. Part of the role will involve the candidate becoming the go to person for our in house HR information system, so you need to be really confident with your IT abilities.
The successful candidate will need to develop and maintain good working relationships with all members of the HR team and line managers from across the business as the job holder provides a service to both the HR team and the business. This is a role with lots of variety and offers a great opportunity for a candidate who wants to get into HR as the first step in their career.
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers’ rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
HR first point of contact
- Provide excellent customer service to all of our customers, responding to telephone, e-mail and face to face enquiries in a helpful and professional manner
- Provide advice to managers and employees regarding enquiries relating to our policies and procedures, or direct them to the appropriate colleague in HR
- Promote our benefits and rewards to employee’s, providing the administrative support for these
On-Boarding and Employee Lifecycle
- Manage the production and distribution of employee ID cards.
- Support the recruitment team with the onboarding process to ensure that key pre employment tasks or checks are completed; this includes obtaining references, ID information, pre employment health checks, driving licence checks etc.
- Support the payroll team and business areas with time and attendance systems in the supply of new employee / change of employee information.
- Manage administration associated with new starters or internal changes; including the production of contracts, offer / change letters
- Ensure our compliance with all regulatory bodies such as UK Borders Agency, the Home Office (for right to work in the UK) and DBS checks. Keep up-to-date of any changes to legislation, maintain records and advise of any issues.
- Supporting the external Occupational Health contractor in co-ordinating the administration associated with health checks and maintaining records of activity; this includes fitness for work assessments, night worker health assessments and other statutory health assessments.
- Organise inductions for staff and welcome new starters on their first day, coordinating the induction process.
- Maintain employee’s personal files, saving information to our online storage system DCS and archiving information, ensuring compliance with data protection
Learning and Development
Responsible for coordinating and organising Health and Safety and Food Safety training for staff
Supporting the L&D Manager to produce training materials and running events
- Produce regular and ad hoc reporting on HR dashboard information for the team as required.
- Work closely with payroll to ensure that the information flow for starters, leavers etc is seamless.
- Process requests for benefits currently managed by HR, such as the Cycle to Work scheme, eye care voucher scheme, Christmas and Easter gifts
- Organise and minute HR team meetings.
- Collect /Distribute department post / information.
- Manage stationary and office supplies for the team
- Maintain employee personal details on the HR System - ResourceLink Aurora
- Provide reception cover
- Provide administrative support for company pay award letters and the bonus scheme
- Update policies or company forms as required / advised by HR Managers
- Filing of documentation in accordance with team standards and data protection requirements
- Undertake any other tasks to support the HR Team as required.
- Previous experience of working in a busy office/admin role
- Excellent computer skills – Microsoft 2010 / 365 packages, at least Intermediate level Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Outlook
- GCSE or equivalent level Maths and English grade C or above
- Good written standard of English, able to apply skills to formal letters / e-mails in a professional manner
- Proven experience of multi-tasking
- Methodical and detail conscious to ensure accuracy of records and letters / contracts produced
- Able to use initiative and make decisions within established parameters
- Outgoing, friendly and approachable with a genuine desire to help others
- Patient and persistent
- Able to work with an attitude of continuous improvement with the business needs at heart
- An enthusiastic, self-starter with the ability to manage and prioritise your own workload
- A strong communicator and effective relationship builder
- Created and maintained large databases
- Experience of report writing using Cognos Impromptu
- Experience of ResourceLink Aurora Webview
- Experience of supporting more than one team or manager
- Experience of working in a HR team
- Advanced Excel, Word and PowerPoint including pivot tables and formulas.
- CIPD qualification – First level
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to converse with others in a friendly and professional manner
- Positive attitude with a can do/proactive approach to problem solving
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- A team player able to work with and support others
- Analytical mind, comfortable with numbers and dealing with formulas
- An ability to deal with confidential / sensitive information in a professional manner