The Role and Team
apetito is currently on an ambitious and exciting digital transformation programme and are looking for experienced and enthusiastic Software engineers to both join the team and help shape and set the technical direction.
This is a brand-new role which will expose the successful candidate to software projects of varying size and complexity, primarily around mobile but will also extend to web technologies aligning to the business demand. As part of a team of 9 other software engineers, you will work with our customers to provide them with new, innovative software solutions that help them to successfully meet their business goals. Key areas where development will be focused on is on retail, customer self-service and innovation.
apetito won the queens award for enterprise this year for the 3rd time and we are looking for software engineers to join us with a view to building on this success. You will have access to the latest technology as well as training and development.
We operate several ecommerce sites and mobile applications, serving customers across the world and have operations here and in North America. We are looking for someone to be part of the DevOps team delivering mobile, web and integration solutions working within an agile environment.
Benefits of joining the apetito DevOps team:
- Sustainable development pace
- As a team we work with the business to set realistic deadlines to make sure work gets done in a timely way allowing time for excellent execution
- Flexible working allowing you to work flexible hours and home working to suit
- Development Opportunities
- We want to help you grow and learn, so we offer both the opportunity to attend industry leading conferences like NDC London, but also time to learn at work using your own Pluralsight subscription. We also have regular learning lunches run by the team
- Innovation culture
- We are always looking for ways to get the latest technologies into our new projects. We are proud of our innovation sprints where we work on ideas and prototypes that we are passionate about to explore new tech.
Some prior experience in programming would be an advantage, especially in web or mobile, however the successful candidate will provided with training and will work as part of a larger development team. We are looking for someone who has the aptitude, desire and enthusiasm to want to achieve within this sector.
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
This role forms part of our Graduate Development Programme full details on the programme can be found on our careers pages at Graduate Programme
Role and Responsibilities
- Design, develop and test software applications in a fast-paced agile environment, ensuring you utilise your talent and experience to the full
- Help set the strategic and technical direction for the DevOps team
- Support and development of existing systems
- Integration of existing software
- Maintain systems by monitoring and correcting software defects
- Working closely with the business and all members of the digital transformation team, collaboration is critical for success
- In addition to delivering digital products and solutions you will be keeping abreast of the latest industry trends and making recommendations where necessary, investigate new technologies, have ideas, be creative
- Candidates need to have completed a degree or working towards a degree graduating in 2021 in computing or computer science with a focus on software development. This needs to be at least a 2:1 (or predicted).
- Previous work experience in an IT environment.
- Have a passion for IT development and have completed code based tasks or assignments at University or in spare time.
- Previous exposure to development using .NETn Angular or Flutter
- Previous web or mobile development experience
- Knowledge of agile best practices