The Role and Team
This exciting opportunity could see you working in our Purchasing Team within our Manufacturing Division.
We anticipate that the successful candidate will be on a fast track development scheme to a key position or management role which will both increase the potential of team apetito and you as an employee.
This will be an intense time in your career, but we are serious in giving you the best possible start and longevity with us at apetito.
You will be given a tangible role in the Manufacturing Division. Your functional line manager will set you objectives and you will have a personal mentor to guide you through your journey. Your mentor will be available to you for support at any time regardless of the department or placement you are undertaking.
You will be offered plenty of training and guidance, but we expect you to be driven and independent – master of your own destiny! We will enlist you on our acclaimed leadership and management courses and practical vocational courses, as well as further educational training if needed to take you to your long term role.
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
This role forms part of our Graduate Development Programme full details on the programme can be found on our careers pages at Graduate Development Programme
- Support the purchasing team with establishing supplier relationships that are mutually beneficial and long lasting
- Provide input to the tendering and supplier selection process
- Monitoring and evaluation of supplier contracts to ensure best value and service standards are being achieved
- Advise on continuous improvement, supporting the teams digital vision
- Develop and implement polices and procedures relevant to a purchasing team
- Degree or working to a Business related Degree (expected minimum 2:2)
- An interest in Purchasing
- Able to review detailed data
- Fully competent with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Some Commercial Work Experience
- Understanding of contractual law
- Knowledge of SAP or a similar platform
- Drive and self-motivation
- Outgoing, and able to communicate effectively with all tiers of management
- Intellectual curiosity, looking at how anything can be improved
- Work under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Be able to travel to various UK locations (expenses paid)
- Be willing to work anywhere within the UK at our request
- Keen eye for detail