The Role and Team
The Production Management Graduate role is an important role which will help us achieve our ambitious profit and growth targets. apetito ltd have seen year on year growth for over the past 15 years both in volume and product range and this has led to increased pressure in the Manufacturing Facilities. In particular, there is pressure to reduce all production costs in order to negate the increases in Raw Material prices whilst delivering world class customer service, maintaining high quality standards and releasing capacity.
This manufacturing unit operates 5 days a week from Sunday night to Friday night manufacturing 1.7m units of frozen meals a week across a variety of production lines with maintenance and deep cleaning taking place on the weekend as well as between shifts. This is a fast-paced environment with several product change overs per shift.
The role will be challenging, stimulating and varied. It will enjoy a good level of training and exposure to the whole manufacturing process with specific projects in each area and thus this role is suited to someone who is a self-starter and a strong team player.
The successful candidate will be a high calibre individual, results focused and will have excellent leadership skills. They will possess strong communication skills and be able to interact with apetito staff from the Exec to the Production Operator.
You will be logical, self-assured and be able to present your ideas both verbally and through written reports. The ability to influence at all levels will be essential to your success whilst working with peers to support the entire manufacturing arm of the business focusing on Safety, Quality, Delivery, Costs, Innovation and People.
The Production Management Graduate will gain experience of managing a manufacturing plant, process and people through a rotational development program. You will spend 12-18 months working across a variety of different departments in our Manufacturing and supply chain, for example you will work in areas such as Sweets, Meals, Procurement, Stores and NPD to gain an in-depth knowledge of our supply chain and apetito processes.
You will start your journey in either our Sweets department (where we produce a range of desserts and cakes approx. 300,000 units per week) or our Meals department (1.4 million units per week) so that you can firstly understand the core processes within our manufacturing operation. From there, we will define a personal path for you to follow that enables you to develop a thorough understanding of the intricacies of our apetito manufacturing operations (e.g. we have a 1,300 product portfolio, 150 suppliers, 700 different materials, etc).
You will be required to work a variety of shift patterns in order to gain the above experience, so you will be prepared to work 8 hour shifts across the following shift patterns 6-2 or 2-10pm and occasionally on 22.00-6.00am in order to understand the complexities of our environment e.g. staff, material flows and capacity constraints.
We will provide a high challenge, but high support environment where we will coach and develop you as you work alongside both previous graduates and experienced managers in this role.
This role will be hands on you will need to lead, influence and support a varied team both in experience and competency to generate the right first time quality products safely and efficiently.
You will be working on a variety of projects, dependent on the need at time of entry, that add value to the business. You will be required to understand complex manufacturing processes and develop innovative engineering, or process solutions, to improve the performance of our manufacturing facility.
Working in a range of environments, you will gain experience in manufacturing principles, process flows, facility design, production equipment and refrigeration systems. You will have an opportunity to learn and put in practice techniques such as lean, sigma and PRINCE2
Who we are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
This role forms part of our Graduate Development Programme full details on the programme can be found on our careers pages at Graduate Development Programme
- Learn to lead a departmental team the apetito way with responsibility for KPI’s (e.g. right first time products), Wastage and Giveaway, Plan Attainment, Line Efficiency, Short Interval control, SMED changeovers, 5S and hygiene standards, Health and safety, Leading and Motivating a team and Communication
- Develop your leadership skills and your ability to co-ordinate operational activities as your development grows and you progress through the development programme
- Assist with NPD Trials when conducted in your area/ on your shift and report back to Shift manager how it went.
- Completion of several manufacturing improvement projects during the rotation across departments demonstrating improved product quality, reduction in complaints and reduce the cost of material wastage.
- To give you a flavour, previous examples of projects include SMED smart changeovers, stock accuracy and cooking capacity projects to improve overall production capacity, AI scanning and digital traceability to eliminate paperwork. The breadth of projects are endless and will be determined nearer to your start date!
- Reduce operational costs, raising quality standards and increase efficiency plus capacity using our current facility and low-cost investment items.
- Aid the achievement of the production plan reducing labour variance, material variance and overheads through a growth mind-set.
- Understand all the factors affecting production costs and to act as a role model, advising on and encouraging Continuous Improvement within the business
- Investigate opportunities for continuous improvement and implement
- Educated to Degree level, or equivalent, preferably in Business, Engineering or Science discipline
- Project Management experience
- Lean/6 sigma experience
- 12 months work experience or a placement year in industry
- Self-motivated and able to own and manage workload with minimal supervision – a proven self-starter
- Adhering to principles and values
- Upholds ethics and values
- Encourages organisational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment
Leading and Supervising
- Motivates and empowers others to be the best they can be
- Sets appropriate standards of behaviour
- Promotion of culture where all employees are engaged and able to raise their suggestions.
Planning and organising
- Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Sets high standards for safety, quality and efficiency
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction through liaison with internal and external customers
- A completer finisher
Creating and innovating
- Seeks opportunities for operational improvement
Deciding and initiating action
- Makes prompt, clear decisions which may involve tough choices or considered tasks
- Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people
- Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem
- Produces workable solutions to a range of problems
Adapting and responding to change
- Adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations
This role will develop the individual through departmental coaching, exposure to varied environments and a series of projects giving a good grounding for Production Management