The Role and Team
This position is working Monday to Friday, 14:00 - 22:00 (£29,500 per annum + Shift Allowance + Bonus)
The Sweets and Packing departments are keen to promote excellent team work by employing people who have a positive attitude, who are prepared to learn a number of skills so that they are able to work in various positions within the department. By achieving this, the department is in the best position to produce, in an efficient manner. We aim to not only achieve our targets but improve on them as well.
- Liaise with appropriate departments to minimize wastage of materials. Control/minimize wastage and overuse of products.
- Ensure good environment controls (e.g. waste, segregation/minimization, efficient use of equipment/energy).
- Assist NPD with new product trials – sign off manufacturing approval.
- Assist with preparation of capital/non-routine expenditure justifications.
- Support project work (continuous improvement plans).
- Investigate opportunities for continuous improvement and implement them.
- Ensure efficient utilization of labour:skills v staffing level v planned requirement.
- Training: ensure adequate skills levels are available/ensure employees receive induction training, basic food safety (or appropriate for role level), tool box talks, environmental, H&S and any other training to ensure legal and audit levels as required.
- Staff recruitment and interviewing to be carried out as necessary
Who We Are
We’re the leading food producer for the health and social care sector, providing delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care.
We’re also the parent company of Wiltshire Farm Foods, the UK’s premier home-delivery service for ready-made meals.
Through our wide range of well-presented, nutritious meals to suit every taste and dietary need, we aim to make a real difference to lives of elderly and vulnerable people in care.
We’re proud to be a Living Wage employer and member of the Ethical Trading Initiative. We support British food and farming and operate a successful programme of waste reduction and resource efficiency across our whole business.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 25 days annual leave holiday entitlement, the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more !
- Monitor Trends and implement improvements for all required trace and CCP documentation.
- Minimise wastage through controlled assembly.
- Action and close out any findings from the taste panels or customer complaints
- Be the departments Lead for Material Usage and any Variances that occur.
- Leader of the Made v Packed differences, log, review change whatever may be required to minimise the Made v Packed cost through adequate controls and training.
- Investigate reasons for poor efficiency and wastage.
- In conjunction with material requirements and stocks adopt plan changes as appropriate/agreed. Communicate throughout.
- Log and drive action on any reports of out of spec components.
- Produce everything listed on the weekly plan and to the required number of units and quality.
- Address any repeat offenders to get the plan attainment figure trending over 85% and towards 90%.
- Identify and action through the Team Leaders any reasons for poor efficiency.
- Lead the team leaders to form action plans and deliver increases to the Sealpac and Raque Lines in particular.
- Excellent communications with the engineering department on issues that affect efficiency or may be more complex to resolve
- KPI – Paperwork, Zero nonconformances across all paperwork (CCP,Trace)
- Manage any corrective actions raised in either departments, support the Team Leaders to ensure they are completed within 48 hrs.
- Log and manage to resolution any complaint investigations using Root Cause Analysis, assigned to your area of responsibility within 48 hours of receipt, to include documented corrective actions which are actioned and closed out.
- Ensure the departments hygiene standards are in-line with external audits and compliant with allergen production and product changeovers to prevent cross contamination.
- Knowledge of the areas CCP’s and ensure 100% compliance.
- Audit all the shifts in the departments so that all materials within the areas have full traceability details.
- Lead the departments to proactively work with QFSA to ensure adoption of any changes to the BRC std that affect the areas, to maintain AA status.
Health and Safety
- Lead and embed the H&S agenda within the departments to ensure compliance with business H&S policies.
- Create a safety awareness culture through training.
- Conduct with H&S and get team members to actively participate in departmental risk assessments.
- Ensure S.O.P’s are created, updated, trained out and for the process’s within the departments.
- Create and maintain training plans to ensure all relevant staff operate to agreed standard.
- Conduct quarterly meetings with the departments, H&S reps, First aiders and Fire Wardens
- Log and action items picked out in the Monthly H&H audits, embed the “clean as you go” policy to ensure both departments are always audit ready.
- Take an active role in implementing 5 S ethos.
- Actively promote continuous improvement in hygiene standards in particular on product change overs to avoid allergen and component cross contamination.
- Responsible for ensuring the effective management of people processes including conflict management, performance management, disciplinary cases, grievances, and investigations.
- Ensure Team Leaders are clearing exceptions for the T&A system to have ready for 8:30am each morning, step in during team leader’s absence to complete exceptions
- Oversee that Team Leaders are completing return to work interviews and addressing any short term or long term absences through the Company HR policies.
- Identify and facilitate ways for team members to develop and increase their contribution (training).
- Trend all relevant KPIs and send to all Team Leaders across the departments. Keeping the weekly and monthly KPI’s up to date and present at team meetings to the wider team.
- Actively encourage feedback from team with open and honest discussions on production targets
- Conduct daily reviews of performance with team in order to drive improvements, labour and material utilisation.
- Promote and work within the apetito Code of Conduct.
- Ensure communication is conducted with other departments when required in relation to issues in your area of work
- Assist with NPD Trials when conducted in your area and report back to Operations manager how it went.
- Support and be involved with project teams working on improvements in the department. Scanning in all areas a focus going forward.
- Manage improvement projects within the departments, an example being changes to our pastry project on large foil line
- Assist when required on capital investment projects within the departments.
- Capacity planning for the future growth or for any potential changes within the departments ways of working
- Help the business be environmentally friendly:
- by ensuring that waste is segregated appropriately so it can be sent to the correct point of disposal/recycling
- by keeping waste to a minimum
- Promote good team work – help others. “It’s not my job” does not promote good team work
- Have a desire to help the team meet the department targets
- Undertake any training made available/organised
- Experience of working in food manufacturing environments
- Experience of managing a team
- GCSE’s or equivalent in Mathematics & English
- Proven track record of managing people effectively on a day to day basis
- Ability to analyse data
- Experience of implementing the 5’S’s and lean systems management processes, being able to demonstrate efficiencies
- Knowledge of SAP or equivalent ERP systems
- Demonstrate experience of working in a change environment
- Industry qualifications in Health and Safety, Food Hygiene
Leading and Supervising:
- Provides staff with development opportunities and coaching
- Motivates and empowers others
- Sets appropriate standards of behavior
Planning and Organizing:
- Identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations:
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
Creating and Innovating:
- Seeks opportunities for organizations improvement
· Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people.