The Role and Team
Following a period of research and construction of a Business Model, starting in October 2007, apetito entered the Care Homes market in late 2008 and currently serve around 500 Care Homes. Historically much of this growth has come from independent providers via the Key Accounts team up until a National Accounts Team was set up in May 2015 to target a business opportunity of £200m. This team has challenged and redesigned the catering offer to provide National Account customers with a bespoke solution. The success in this area and led to further investment and the recruitment of an additional 2 National Account Managers.
The Care Homes industry is going through a substantial period of change where it is expected that large care home groups will increase their dominance. The National Accounts team is therefore pivotal to ensuring we achieve the accelerated growth targets for the Care Homes Division and maximise growth opportunities within this changing market place. This role is to work alongside the Sales Manager – National Accounts to achieve growth targets through gaining new business and implementing a retention strategy to protect and grow existing National Accounts business.
Please note that this role is a home based role covering the North West of England and the Midlands
Who we are
We’re the leading food producer for the health and social care sector, providing delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care.
We’re also the parent company of Wiltshire Farm Foods, the UK’s premier home-delivery service for ready-made meals.
Through our wide range of well-presented, nutritious meals to suit every taste and dietary need, we aim to make a real difference to lives of elderly and vulnerable people in care.
We’re proud to be a Living Wage employer and member of the Ethical Trading Initiative. We support British food and farming and operate a successful programme of waste reduction and resource efficiency across our whole business.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 25 days annual leave holiday entitlement, the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more !
The National Accounts Manager (NAM) will be responsible for identifying and targeting a number of care home groups from which they will need to deliver 2 x groups per annum equal to £1m growth. The candidate will need to be a self-starter and show excellent commercial skills consistent with operating a growing and successful business.
The National Account Manager will be responsible for:
- Identifying a target list of 10 -12 National Accounts
- Writing and executing a development plan for each potential account
- Provide Sales Manager, National Accounts with accurate forecasting of new business
- Provide some top-level account management to an existing portfolio of National Accounts
- Building their profile in the industry through effective networking channels This will involve working closely alongside other departments within apetito (to include):
- The opportunity for National Accounts is £200m and this, relatively untapped area, is key to accelerating growth over the next few years. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in its infancy and to grow and develop as the business expands.
- Marketing – Implementing sales strategies and reviewing our national accounts retention model, developing and enhancing concepts required
- Category Manager – Working to review existing and develop new products specific to national account customers and market requirements and trends
- Customer Service & Distribution – Create a joined-up and world-class service and national account retention strategy
- Other Business Units – To look at opportunities to develop new business and share best-practice With an existing portfolio of National Accounts, it is fundamental that our retention strategy is world-class and constantly looks to add-value to the customer by helping them to achieve their business objectives. It is fundamental that we maintain our string Systems/Service support and do not fall into the trap of being perceived as a Product supplier. There will therefore be key measures and KPI’s against these 2 elements:
- Success in the role will be dependent on the ability to network effectively and be confident delivering at board level.
- Retention of existing Accounts
- Year on Year trading results
- Good O Levels / GCSEs to support a high standard of business communication skills and numerical analysis.
- 2/3 years sales experience at National Accounts level
- Proven experience of achieving and exceeding targets
- Consultative, solutions-led sales experience, not hard product sell
- Strong commercial experience – be able to justify a business-case
- Objections handling focused around resistance to change/financial issues
- Developing and managing an account relationship
- Proven experience of successful account retention and development
- Demonstrate excellent communication & presentation skills
- Experience of negotiating at board level
- Show good organisational skills
- Experience of investigating problems and planning solutions with the support of all stakeholders
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills
- Good A Levels (or equivalent)
- Advanced Food Hygiene Training
- Intermediate Food hygiene qualification
- Experience of the Care sector
- Good Networking experience
- Experience of nutritional/technical standards
- Experience of successful project delivery
We are looking for an experienced, self-motivated individual with proven National Accounts success and a passion for building relationships. Whilst targeted against new business development, they will need to be conversant with the required approach in this sector and be focused around a consultative, solution-led sell, with a strong commercial input. They will need to be well-structured, organised and resilient ensuring priority around new business/retention.
The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and will display good team working at all levels within the organisation, fostering a culture of continuous improvement and excellence in delivery. They will not be easily disheartened and will be comfortable actively analysing and challenging practices, reflecting the changing needs of the market and our customers. We are striving to continually re-evaluate and improve our model, so there is no room for complacency.
- Self- starter
- Comfortable working on own
- Positive and determined approach
- Passionate - Must display a true passion for this role
- Gravitas - Credibility with Group Owners/Management Boards
- Enthusiastic, persistent, resilient, interested
- Excellent influencing, communication and relationship building skills
- Logical and analytical, but with a results focus
- Follows things through – does not give up easily, nor avoid difficult decisions
- Constantly challenges existing practices; strives for excellence
- Empathy with the customer – able to deliver through others
- Extremely personable
- Team Player – will need to work closely with other teams
- Articulate, verbal and written
- Ambitious – potential to move to Sales Manager National Accounts