The role, department and team
The Procurement team is responsible for ensuring that the company has a clear strategy when purchasing goods and services.
You will have a passion for purchasing and are looking to move to a large, agile business where we can support your career development. Ideally educated to a degree standard you will have a talent in negotiation with exceptional networking and communication skills.
The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of both the purchasing process (tender, negotiation and award ) and strategic sourcing ( market data, suppy chain, cost control) . Most importantly, you are able to work on your own initiative as well as being an integral part of a high performing team.
This role will require some travel, primarily to UK suppliers; however this may be extended toward both European and international travel as required. A typical amount could be 5 days travel out of 20 (per month).
Reporting to the Senior Procurement Manager for Indirect categories, you will be responsible for managing a spend of approximately £10m per annum across areas including marketing and capital equipment.
Who we are
We’re the leading food producer for the health and social care sector, providing delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care.
We’re also the parent company of Wiltshire Farm Foods, the UK’s premier home-delivery service for ready-made meals.
Through our wide range of well-presented, nutritious meals to suit every taste and dietary need, we aim to make a real difference to lives of elderly and vulnerable people in care.
We’re proud to be a Living Wage employer and member of the Ethical Trading Initiative. We support British food and farming and operate a successful programme of waste reduction and resource efficiency across our whole business.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 25 days annual leave holiday entitlement, the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more !
- To develop and implement sourcing and category plans aligned to business goals and objectives which deliver; cost leadership, innovation, service excellence and process and product improvement.
- Supplier evaluation, selection and contract management.
- Implementation of initiatives, through effective programme and project management.
- Provide regular market analysis, benchmark information to provide best in class solutions in each area of involvement
- Responsible for supplier performance management and continuous improvement to ensure contracts meet and exceed business objectives of cost, quality and service. .
- Compliance to Procurement policies and procedures.
- Proven strategic procurement background gained in a FMCG/material management environment
- Impactful and adaptable negotiator capable of influencing key business stakeholders and decision makers
- Innovative thinker with ability to generate/deliver valued added procurement solutions that positively affect the performance of the business
- Highly analytical with the ability to measure and provide meaningful category management data
- Effective and adaptable communicator with strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Resilient and persistent with the ability to act at pace and influence decisions
- Strong personal organisation skills capable of initiating, prioritising and managing several projects simultaneously
- Ability to use SAP effectively
- Previous experience of purchasing, including within a packaging environment
- Clean driving Licence
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) membership or additional relevant postgraduate qualification
- Persuading & Influencing - Makes a strong personal impression on others; Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; Promotes ideas on behalf of self or others.
- Planning & Organising - Sets clearly defined objectives; Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; Manages time effectively; Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; Monitors performance against deadlines- Good problem solving skills and the ability to drive for completion and delivery.
- Entrepreneurial & Commercial Thinking -Keeps up-to-date with competitor information and market trends; Identifies business opportunities for the organisation; Demonstrates financial awareness; Controls costs and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value.
- Analysing - Analyses numerical data, verbal data and all other sources of information; Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; Makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; Produces workable solutions to a range of problems; Demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system
- Deciding and Initiating Action - Makes prompt and clear decisions which may involve tough choices or considered risks; Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; Takes initiative, acts with confidence and works under own direction; Initiates and generates activity.