The Role and Team
This role offers a great opportunity for an ambitious and enthusiastic student, looking for their first step towards a career in a business-related discipline.
The Foodservice division is responsible for supplying a number of large food businesses products which are manufactured in Trowbridge, Wiltshire. The main products supplied include unbaked savoury pastry products and sponge desserts. The Foodservice division achieves sales of £9.3m p.a. and is responsible for managing apetito UK’s largest single customer.
A number of key projects have been identified where there is a clear and exciting opportunity to grow business, either through new products and markets, or by exploiting opportunities in existing markets which until now have remained untapped. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to both manage and provide key support on a number of these projects and make a real impact to the business.
This role will provide a placement student with:
• An opportunity to lead key strategic projects.
• The opportunity to develop real-world experience and skills in sales, marketing and project management.
• The ability to undertake market research and consumer insight which will heavily dictate the focus of product and business development.
• An opportunity to understand product development within the food sector from concept to launch.
• The opportunity to work closely across multiple departments including Product Development, Marketing and Sales.
• The opportunity to join a company that has a proven track record of welcoming back placement students once they have graduated.
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
Full details of our Undergraduate Placement Programme can be found on our careers pages at Placements at apetito
• Project management and facilitation of key sales, marketing and business development projects;
• Help deliver new product and business opportunities;
• Undertake research of the market to gain valuable consumer insight;
• Category and data analysis to enhance business intelligence;
• Provide key support to the Divisional Manager across a broad spectrum of projects.
You will be studying towards a business-related degree with the expectation that you will receive a 2:1 or above, graduating Summer 2022.
Desirable (but not essential):
Experience in project management
• Excellent project management skills
• Passionate, energetic and enthusiastic
• Self-motivated and able to own and manage workload
• Effective communicator
• Fantastic interpersonal skills. Builds strong relationships and believes in the power of teams
• Good organisational skills
• Analytical thinker and an eye for detail