The Role and Team
This role is based on working 42 hours per week over 2 Shifts - Sunday 20:00 - 06:00, Monday to Thursday 22:00 - 06:00
The engineering technician will work within a team of 19 other engineers supporting the factory departments with any issues such as start up, changeovers and breakdowns to ensure that each department can achieve its daily production plan with minimal mechanical downtime.
Day to day activities include attendance of break downs and logging all faults, carrying out Preventative Maintenance schedules and working with team leaders and supervisors within the factory to ensure timely start-up of all production lines. This would include the start-up of refrigeration plant and spiral freezers. The successful candidate will also work alongside members of the production team, advising and implementing changes leading to continuous improvement in safety, hygiene, quality and throughput.
The candidate should be self-motivated and able to actively seek tasks to do rather than purely responding to breakdown requests. They will need to have the ability to work independently to solve faults and issues as well as having excellent team working and communication skills in order to work effectively within the engineering team and with teams in other departments. The ability to work quickly but accurately and prioritise tasks are also key to success in this role to enable the successful candidate to minimise downtime in the factory by completing tasks as soon as possible.
The successful candidate would be expected to work as required on projects either as part of a multi-disciplined team or on individually allocated engineering projects.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced engineer to join a growing and fast paced business working as part of a small team where results are visible and with the potential for development and progression.
Who we are
We’re the leading food producer for the health and social care sector, providing delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care.
We’re also the parent company of Wiltshire Farm Foods, the UK’s premier home-delivery service for ready-made meals.
Through our wide range of well-presented, nutritious meals to suit every taste and dietary need, we aim to make a real difference to lives of elderly and vulnerable people in care.
We’re proud to be a Living Wage employer and member of the Ethical Trading Initiative. We support British food and farming and operate a successful programme of waste reduction and resource efficiency across our whole business.
In addition to your salary you will receive a comprehensive training program, 25 days annual leave holiday entitlement, the ability to buy additional annual leave, retail discounts, free car parking, subsidised staff restaurant, free turkey (or voucher) at Christmas and much more!
- Minimisation of engineering downtime (Overall Equipment Efficiencies/ Key Performance Indicators pack).
- Carry out planned preventative maintenance schedules.
- Ensure effective plant start-ups every day.
- Actively develop with engineering Planning Preventative Maintenance (PPM) schedules.
- Be active and drive forward improvements in plant efficiency (KPI pack).
- Identify and participate in continuous improvement initiatives.
- Take a pro-active role in the maintenance and improvement in safety standards.
- Build up record of plant performance by logging of breakdowns/work to ultimately develop predictive maintenance.
- Supervise external contractors & visitors when necessary.
- Be involved in cost reduction initiatives within the department.
- Develop a safety culture within the department through adoption of new systems, Risk Assessments, Working at Height, Control of Contractors and other safe systems.
- Minimum 12 months experience Maintenance engineering
- Experience of attending breakdowns and carrying out fault diagnosis
- Mechanically and electrical competent and able to independently find faults
- Ability to read mechanical/electrical drawings
- Basic Health & Safety qualifications and/or able to demonstrate equivalent experience
- Good communicator at all levels
- Organised – excellent time management skills
- Resourceful and uses own initiative
- Set high standards of work and attention to detail
- Energetic, enthusiastic, motivated
- Flexible working hours moving to an alternating shift after training.
- Ability to work unsupervised and independently as on some occasions you could be the only engineer on site
- Team working skills
- Creative problem solving
- Refrigeration experience or the desire to learn these skills
- Experience of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) systems
- Previous food manufacturing background
- 16th Edition Institute of Electrical Engineering
- Development potential to become an Engineering Supervisor