The Role and Team
We are looking for an exceptional Chef to join our Product Development team to create, develop and deliver food that brings joy to our customers, creates competitive advantage for our business, improves the quality of our range and enables our customers to eat for health.
The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge and understanding of food, cuisines and flavour and the ability to translate that into the delivery of commercially viable products.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a creative Head Chef with a strong foundation of classical cookery that underpins their creativity and innovation.
As a proven team player and leader, this individual will be a passionate food professional with the ability to motivate and inspire those around them to consistently deliver our goal of producing great food to be proud of, and promoting strong food values throughout the business.
They will have the credibility and confidence to deliver excellent food presentations and ‘sell’ their new and improved products and ideas to internal and external customers.
We are looking for someone who is determined to apply their knowledge and experience into driving both product quality improvement and innovation, to make a real difference for our customers.
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers’ rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
- Deliver market leading food innovation and concept development that meets the needs of our customers and exceeds their expectations
- Create, develop and improve food products that drive quality improvements and enhance our customers experience.
- Create new food products that are aligned with our strategic objectives, meet the agreed briefs, support growth and delight our customers.
- Identify and deliver new opportunities that enhance and improve our current portfolio.
- Keep up to date with food trends and identify opportunities within our target markets in order to create competitive advantage
- Deliver food and concept presentations to promote or introduce new and improved products.
- Work closely with guest chefs, food experts and suppliers to further enhance our development, quality and innovation programmes
- Support and evolve our Concept Foods testing programme and other consumer research
- Promote strong food values throughout business
- Work closely with our category managers, product developers, dietitians, operational & purchasing team and other stakeholders to deliver great food.
- Deputise for the Head Development Chef as required.
- Support our PR and marketing teams with promotional activities (e.g. photography, food articles, filming)
- Experience as Head Chef in a quality hospitality establishment (e.g. Michelin /3 rosette)
- Comprehensive understanding of cookery and cooking techniques
- Excellent culinary skills
- Wide knowledge of global foods and cuisines
- Excellent sensory skills
- Proven track record of creativity and delivering great quality food
- Motivated by working in a creative customer focused environment
- Demonstrable commercial awareness
- Confident presenter with the ability to inspire others
- Team player
- Formal chef / food qualifications
- Strong attention to detail
- Good problem solving skills