The Role and Team
We are looking for an exceptional Interim Development Chef to join our Product Development team and take a key role in significantly improving the quality of our meals and desserts.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience within food development and a proven track record of delivering quality improvements and innovations that are commercially viable.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Development chef with a strong foundation of classical cookery and experience of developing chilled and/or frozen foods for the retail sector.
The individual will be a ‘real foodie’ with the ability to motivate and inspire those around them to consistently deliver our goal of producing great food to be proud of, and promoting strong food values throughout the team and wider business.
They will have the credibility, confidence and passion to challenge the current standards, drive improvement projects forward and make a real difference.
Please note this is a fixed-term role - 12 to 18 months
Who We Are
apetito is the UK’s leading supplier of food to the health and social care sectors. Servicing over 400 hospitals, 450 care homes and thousands more through our work with Local Authorities, we produce delicious, nutritious and sustainable meals for people at home or in care. Through our food we look to ‘make a real difference’ to all our customers, up and down the country.
Established in 1958, as a family-owned business, our values sit at the very heart of what we do. We are proud to be a business that ‘makes a real difference’, committed to producing ‘great food to be proud of’. We have developed a range of products designed to ‘enhance health and well-being’ for all our customers. We are proud supporters of British food and farming and focus on using the best ‘ethical and sustainably’ sourced produce.
We are driven by a ‘passion for service’, dedicated to feeding some of the UK’s most vulnerable people, offering healthy and delicious meals to customers across the UK.
Ethical & Sustainable
As a business which operates within food manufacturing, we believe we have an obligation to make a positive contribution on society. With over 300 products in our range, we ensure our produce is ethically and sustainably sourced, working only with suppliers who share our commitment to making a positive impact.
We’re a proud member of the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI), a leading alliance of companies, trade unions and NGOs, that promote respect for workers’ rights globally. All our new suppliers now operate under the ETI’s guidelines.
We are also a member of The UK’s Plastics Pact, an initiative looking to transform the plastic packaging industry in the UK. As part of the initiative, we have committed, along with other ambitious targets, to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic completely by 2025.
We have also made a commitment to our employees – we’re recognised as an accredited Living Wage employer by the Living Wage Foundation. Joining an elite group of FTSE 100 companies and public sector organisations.
Here at apetito, we take our duty to give back to our local communities and chosen charities very seriously. In 2018, we raised over £30,000 for Alzheimer’s Support and Alzheimer’s Society alone, thanks to the incredible efforts of our employees and charity committee. We also support our communities through the apetito Staff Foundation, which gives financial support to the chosen charitable causes of our staff and their children. Since 2005, we’ve raised over £200,000 for these charities.
- Deliver market leading food development that meets the needs of our customers and exceeds their expectations.
- Develop 'Gold standard' recipes and develop these into commercially viable products that meet the agreed briefs and raises the bar on quality
- Identify and deliver improvement opportunities that enhance and improve our current portfolio.
- Deliver food and concept presentations to promote or introduce new and improved products.
- Support our consumer research initiatives
- Be Instrumental in promoting strong food values throughout the team and wider business and inspire others passion for great food.
- Work closely with our category managers, product developers, dietitians, operational team purchasing team and other stakeholders to deliver food products that are best in market
- Support our PR and marketing teams with promotional activities (e.g. photography, food articles, filming)
- Support the wider team to ensure the effective delivery of new and improved products
- Experience as a Development Chef within chilled or frozen food manufacturing
- Experience of developing multi-component products for the retail market.
- Comprehensive understanding of cookery and cooking techniques
- Excellent culinary and sensory skills
- Wide knowledge of global foods and cuisines and strong foundation of classical cookery
- Proven track record of delivering great quality food
- Successful track record of consumer focused product development
- Commercial awareness
- Confident presenter with the ability to inspire others
- A team player
- Formal chef / food qualifications
- Development of prepared meals
- Strong attention to detail
- Good problem solving skills